I had heard that plumeria was easy to propagate, so I gave it a try. Plumaria is a very popular Hawaiian flower because of its delicate fragrance and the fact that it is long lasting as a lei.
Tree of origin
Tree of origin
First, I took a branch that was knocked (accidentally) off my neighbors tree with his backhoe.
Next, I cut off the individual branches with a 45(ish) degree angle.
It emitted a thick and very sticky white goo.
Then I let the cuttings dry at the base.
Once they were dry I planted them cut side down about 4" in a porous sandy potting soil and placed them in direct sun.
I watered until soaked then let the soil dry out before watering again.
I feed them with a general garden fertilizer of 10-15-10.
Majority of my plants are of the white and yellow species, except the two on the far right are a nice pink and yellowish variety I "found" .
Looking up the process of plumeria propagation, I found I was not far off. An article suggested to cut them in the winter and plant them in spring, blah, blah, blah and use a 10-50-10 fertilizer.
Anyways, they look great, all blooming and rooting very well.
They are currently in their initial pots, and need to be separated into larger ones.
(Maybe I'll do it in the "spring")



When would spring be? December?!
ReplyDeleteyou should show your cute pineapples and how to get limbs cut off in the process of cracking a coconut. :D That'd be fun.
ReplyDelete